One thing that somehow doesn’t get easier for me to deal with is jet-lag. No matter how many times I do the Tel Aviv-New York trip, I am always exhausted! My boyfriend wakes up really early for work and I always get up with him and make us breakfast (eggs are the one thing I can cook) meaning I’ll sometimes find myself with just a few short hours of sleep. How do you avoid looking like dead woman walking when you’re exhausted and sleep deprived? Because I don’t know about you, but I certainly don’t wake up like this.
I turned to celebrity makeup artist Allison Brooke to find out! Here are her favorite tips and products.
- Exhaustion can dehydrate the skin. Use a sheet mask before bed to get a boost of moisture. I like Koh Gen Do Macro Vintage Essence Mask. Leave the mask on for 10 minutes, massage unabsorbed product into the skin. You can also rub the leftover liquid from the packet into your neck, decollete, and hands.
- Reduce undereye puffiness and dark circles with eye gels. Try Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels. Pop these stick-on patches under the eyes for a shot of cooling moisture. Leave on for 10 minutes and watch your makeup go on more smoothly.
- A brightening tinted moisturizer will even out discolorations while providing a healthy glow. I like Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer because you can use it as-is for a healthy glow, or layer it under a fuller coverage foundation to act as a brightening primer.
- Neutralize under eye circles without looking overdone with Benefit Erase Paste. This concealer delivers major coverage. Massage a pin-sized amount on the back of your hand to warm up the product, then tap under the eyes. A little bit goes a long way!
- An all-purpose brightener brings attention to the right places. Kevyn Aucoin The Celestial Skin Liquid Lighting is a good one. Pop this liquid brightener on cheekbones, eyelids, the bridge of your nose, and cupid’s bow.
- Curled, fanned out lashes make eyes look more wide open. Tweezerman Classic Lash Curler and Benefit Yes They’re Real Mascara are my top picks. Curl lashes first by giving a few quick squeezes at the base of your lashes. Then wiggle the mascara’s comb brush through your lashes, starting at the base and using a back and forth motion. Apply mascara top and bottom.
- Keep a hydrating spray like Caudalie Beauty Elixi in your bag to refresh makeup. Spritz all over all day for a boost of moisture and radiance. It also smells amazing!