We can’t always head to the gym, a class, or a trainer but that isn’t an excuse to skip a workout. You can burn calories and blast away fat using nothing but your body weight and common household items and Brienne Hollingsworth, Master Instructor and North Carolina Lead at FlyBarre, shows us how.
Do each of the below exercises the recommended amount of time taking as little rest as possible between each move. When you’ve finished all of the moves take a 45 second to 1 minute break and repeat the circuit another two times.
Towel Sliding Lateral Lunge:
- One foot on towel, one on flat, stable surface
- As you push your sliding leg out, fully extend this leg as you simultaneously shift your hips back in the standing leg
- The working leg is your standing leg as you keep your shin vertical and engage your glutes to use the stabilizing muscles to return to neutral.
- 8-10 reps per side
- Modification: Perform lateral lunge without the towel, stepping out, and returning to neutral.
Wine Bottle Single Leg Bridge:
- Start in supine position, resting head/neck and shoulders on floor/mat
- Rest bottle or any added weight below the hips, slightly favoring working side
- Working leg firmly planted into floor, lifted leg either in line or slightly below working knee.
- Keep hips elevate as you lift and lower using working glute. Resistant urge to lower completely to floor staying elevated throughout.
- Lower back stays slightly rounded and abs engaged.
- Avoid arching back at the top.
- Perform 12-15 reps each side, repeating 3 times.
- Modification: Both feet remain on the ground, hip distance apart, to power the movement.
Decline Couch Push-Up
- Feet on secure surface.
- Elbows wide to form a 90 degree angle, wrists drawn under your shoulders.
- Back remains flat, drawing your belly button into your spine.
- Gaze down, chin off your chest.
- Lower to lowest point without compromising form, hold, exhale as you powerfully return to neutral position.
- Repeat 8-10 times before recovering
- Modification: Ditch the decline and reverse the movement. Hands on couch, feet on the floor- performing an incline pushup for added support.
Broomstick Overhead Squat
- Wide grip, taking the broomstick just over your ears or slightly behind.
- Feet just outside hip width, toes slightly externally rotated
- Core engaged, drive knees out, weight heavy in your heels
- Sit down as low as you can with a flat angled spine
- Chest up, eyes forward
- Engage glutes deeply as you drop below your knees, exhale and push through your heels to return to standing.
- Perform the desired number of reps to complete fatigue
- Modification: Pause at hips rather than dropping below or release broom and extend arms overhead or hold in prayer at your chest.
Lunge with Bicep Laundry Curl
- Step back in a lunge position.
- Ensure distance between feet so that both legs can achieve a 90 degree bend.
- Hold detergent in same hand as leg drawn back.
- As you you lower back knee to ground, draw detergent up to perform bicep curl
- Squeeze your glutes as you return standing
- Make sure front knee does not track over your toes and shin remains neutral.
- 8-12 reps per side
- Modification: Option with or without added bicep curl
Tricep Chair Dip
- Connect palms securely on chair, wrapping fingers forward
- Draw elbows in and shoulders away from your ears.
- Step away with straight legs, tuck your pelvis underneath you, lift your toes and then soften your knees
- Lower down softening your elbows and engaging your triceps, not using your hips to power the movement, and keeping a neutral spine remaining close to the chair.
- Pause at your lowest point, exhale and push back up
- 10-12 reps before recovery
- Modification- Walk feet in closer to your body and connect toes to ground to give you more support
Photo Credit: Laurel Belle