10. Marc Jacobs for Louis Vuitton Ready To Wear– Forget what we’ve said about his bags or his personal life; MJ revealed his exceptional talent with LV’s RTW collections this year. Fall 08’s darted, pleated and sculpted line shows MJ’s newfound maturity (or sobriety) and announces he is a force to be reckoned with. He is perhaps the most influential designer of the decade even if he does have a penchant for wild bags that drive us nuts!
9. Miuccia Prada– Each season Miuccia Prada evokes strong emotion in all of us. It matters not whether you love or hate her; all that matters is the unwavering passion she continually brings to her designs. I mean seriously now, who else can convince rock stars to dress like Sicilian widows?
8. DVF– The wrap dress has evolved to an entire
collection of clothes, bags and shoes for the modern woman. The
Legendary Diva shows no signs of slowing down!
7. Alexander Wang– The CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund winner has a knack for mixing naughty and nice. A sexy black bondage dress peeks under draped chiffon so you can go from dinner with the parents to night clubbing without missing a beat.
6. RM by Roland Mouret– He kills me with precisely tailored dresses that make me feel like I am the hottest chick on the planet. Worth every penny! (So says the hubby 🙂
5. Nicolas Ghesquiere for Balenciaga– This was an off year for Ghesquiere but we still love him. The most photographed little black dress of the year was also the least wearable– the fabric too thick and stiff that gave one the appearance of ooma loompa. Still, he’s the coolest dude on the planet. Just ask Carine Roitfeld, the coolest chick on the planet.
4. Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy– Gladiator shoes. Need I say more?
3.Stefano Pilati for YSL– I weep, I really weep when I walk into a YSL boutique. And it’s not just the bags I’m obsessed with; I’ve bought more YSL shoes, jackets, dresses and tops than any other designer this year. Each piece is deliciously distinct with its own voice; my floral sheath could not be more different from the silver peplum vest of the same collection.
2. Vera Wang– From Vera Wang signature artsy frocks and glittering Philip Crangi for Vera Wang jewels to Simply Vera at Kohl’s– we bought it all. I feel instantly smart when I wear Vera Wang; her intelligence and mindfulness is reflected in every piece that bears her name.
1. Oscar de la Renta – Put on an Oscar de la Renta dress and you will feel like the most beautiful creature alive.
Snob Worthy Mentions:
Alexander McQueen– Worth starving for!
Michelle Smith for Milly- I adore Milly; its retro chic sportswear are pieces you will wear time and again.
Thakoon- It’d be hypocritical of me to put him on my top ten list because I don’t actually own any of his pieces. I love looking at them but they just don’t look good on me. Still, worth checking out as he is the sweetest and hey, if his frocks are good enough for the First Lady, they’re good enough for you.
Derek Lam- He had a stellar year both with his signature line and for Tod’s. We look forward to seeing him each season and always pick up a piece or two.