Gypsy-chic. On-trend earth-mama. Bohemian glamour. Whatever the caftan brings to mind, it wouldn’t have a place in your closet without faraway vacations and moments of true leisure. I’m off to Phuket, in southwest Thailand, and an array of caftans, from the beach-ready to cocktail-appropriate, is at the top of my packing list. The breezy, airy, nonchalant caftan is perfect for island living – and for embarking on a hot adventure!
1. Issa Chiffon Caftan Maxi Dress: An exotic palette and geometric print speak of free-flowing ‘70s style. Go all the way with oversized hoops and bare feet. On Shopbop for $650.
2. Edun Caftan Dress: I love the draped and knotted ease of this silk dress – the look of an expertly tied scarf and none of the fuss. On Farfetch for $336 (from $418.11).
3. Missoni Zigzag-Stripe Short Caftan: I believe a little Missoni is necessary on every summer holiday! This one keeps it short and sexy. Pair a contrasting-print zigzag bikini underneath for double-M fun. At Bergdorf Goodman for $775.
4. Naeem Khan Printed Maxi Caftan: As a native of India, Naeem knows his way around wild fabrics and stirring prints. This abstract animal pattern billows with daytime drama. At Bergdorf Goodman for $4,790.
5. Lanvin Silk-Blend Lamé Dress: Try wearing this disco-shine caftan on the beach and you’re bound to get a few stares, but work this is as a casual-glam night look and you’re jet set. On for $1,400 (from $2,800).