Colorist Allison Gandolfo and stylist Justin Block, of The Salon at Bergdorf Goodman, recommend this simple, easy up-do for summer because it will hold up to hot and humid weather. “You want a quick and easy hairstyle that looks sexy and effortless,” says Block. “The messy topknot bun gives you a done but not done look that is does both and is very versatile.”
- “Apply a sea salt texture spray all over, this will ensure as much texture and piecey-ness as possible.
- Using a 1 1/4 curling iron and take large sections of hair to get more body and texture.
- Place a semi loose ponytail on the top of your head, aiming closer to the back.
- Tease your hair with a comb, brush , or just use your fingers.
- Hold the ponytail at the very end and twist to a desired tightness. Continue to hold the end of the pony and pinch and push the hair towards the base. Stop halfway. You now have the fullness.
- Wrap the hair around the base and fasten with bobby-pins.”
Remember you can control how messy or neat you want your top knot bun to be – see inspiration below and above. I would start off with a less messy bun because it will likely get more piece-y and messy as the day progresses! Don’t forget to finish it off with a UV protecting spray (we’ll have a post on the best ones next week!).