The evolution of fringe has been one of fascination for me. I have been guilty of fringe abuse at bags, thanks to a certain Stella McCartney belt and a Miu Miu bag, respectively. I’ve also embraced the look without regret, thanks to designers who have found ways to rethink and refine it. With that said, not all fringes are created equal. Here are the best and the worst of the season:
1. Valentino Fringe-Trimmed Scarab-Detailed Clutch Bag: Here’s a brand that knows their way around embellishments, even when it comes to a nearly full frame of fringe. At Neiman Marcus for $1,875.
2. The Row Hunting 11 Woven Shoulder Bag: Fringed macrame takes on a fantastically chic new meaning when the Olsen twins choose to layer it about their calfskin leather. At Neiman Marcus for $6,200.
3. Finds + THEPERFEXT Blair Fringed Suede Shoulder Bag: Clean, slender, and perfectively oversized, this crossbody bag reminds me of a curtain, in a good way. On NET-A-PORTER for $1,135.
4. Proenza Schouler Large Fringe Lunch Bag: Like a good set of bangs, fringe often looks best when it is thick cut and blunt – and in clean, bright white. Available fore pre-order at Neiman Marcus for $1,275 (expect shipping by April 7th).
5. Saint Laurent Monogramme Small Suede Fringe Crossbody Bag: This Saint Laurent works because it pays homage to the vintage fringe styles of yesteryear, without taking you on a time travel trip. At Saks Fifth Avenue for $2,150.
1. Fendi Baguette Fringed Leather Shoulder Bag: Is it a five-thousand-dollar Baguette or something that should sit in a dish by your kitchen sink, coming in handy when you need to hand-wash champagne flutes? If you need to ask, it’s a no. On NET-A-PORTER for $4,900.
2. Etro Beaded Fringe Crossbody Bag: I know Etro was going for the whole Navajo motif, but I prefer my bags to not look like they came from the gift shop at the Museum of Natural History, thank you. At Neiman Marcus for $3,020.
3. Miu Miu Swarovski Crystal-Embellished Fringed Leather Clutch: There is fine line between disco-fabulous fringe and fringe that looks worse than blood on the dance floor. Sadly, this sparkly Miu Miu creation leans towards the latter. On NET-A-PORTER for $2,500.
4. Blugirl Fringed Studded Ponyskin Top-Handle Bag: There is also a fine line between colorfully, leopard-spotty cute and bargain-rack unfortunate. Steer clear of Blugirl’s droopy, colorblocked fringe. On Luisa via Roma for $479.
5. Saint Laurent Fringe-Trim Anita Crossbody Bag: Oh, how the Saint Laurent pendulum swings! With this piece of textural linen, it looks like they’re designing for the town fishmonger. Who might very well appreciate this. At Barneys New York for $1,190.