WWD has just announced the return of Grunge for Fall 2012. Are you ready for the return of the dumpster-chic kinderwhore? According to WWD, you’d better be! Dressing like a ragamuffin is it this fall.
I dabbled in grunge-glam in the nineties, courtesy of Marc Jacobs, who in 1992 said “Grunge style is about doing everything wrong” – he got that right. Thank god, Tom Ford came along to save me with his louche velvet suits and horse-bit embellishments!
I was inspired by waif-ish Kate Moss back when she was with Johnny Depp, and Kurt and Courtney the first go-round. I don’t think I can go back there. I’m no longer in my early twenties, and kinderwhore is just not my look. But I’m in full support of the young and brave embracing the sleepy adolescent vibe!
Here, some snob-worthy grunge pieces that deserve to be lived in to death (is there any other way for a grunge goddess?):
1. Marc Jacobs Lace-Trimmed Satin Mini-Dress: Marc comes full circle with a lingerie-inspired – heck, it basically is lingerie! – slipdress young Courtney would have appreciated.
On Net-a-Porter for $695.
2. Madeleine Thompson Knitted Cashmere Beanie: Greasy bedhead demands a beanie hat to hide beneath! Keep your locks fresh and wear this luxurious variation with a baby-doll dress strictly for novelty purposes.
On Net-a-Porter for $205.
3. Joseph Perry Checked Wool-Blend Dress: Boyfriends’ beat-up plaid shirts were a grunge-girl staple. Update the casual look with a sleeker dress variation. The offbeat length harks back to the era. Wear it with chunky boots and a deep burgundy lip!
On Net-a-Porter for $595.
4. Helmut Lang Two-Tone Pullover: This mélange knit sweater hangs off the body in a perfectly imperfect way. Extra-long sleeves, a deep scoopneck, and crooked hemline cement the fact that you really don’t care.
At Barneys New York for $395.
5. 3.1 Phillip Lim Charcoal Sweatshirt Skirt: Mimic the look of tying a sweater around your waist, but keep it fresh and current with Lim’s sly take. He gives a nod to nonchalance without getting sloppy.
On Ssense for $325.