“A braid is flattering on everyone, and can work for a day at the office, a night out, or your favorite music festival,” says Dove celebrity stylist, Mark Townsend. “Added bonus: your hair will have great texture when you take the braid out!” Personally I love it as a versatile gym look. A braid keeps hair out of your face while still remaining stylish and even if your locks gets a little sweaty, the look should hold up (just spritz some of this…the BEST). While I never think you can go wrong with a classic French braid, I asked Townsend to share his tips for creating a textured braid (which you can easily pin up) if you want a slightly more polished look.
1. Wash and condition hair with Dove Oxygen Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner to provide added body and fullness.
3. Rough dry hair on medium heat.
4. Once dry, flip hair over and spray a flexible hold hairspray, then flip hair back over and begin to braid as normal – a fishtail braid would work for this look too!
5. Continue until the braid is complete and secure with a clear elastic.
6. To finish the look, loosen a few pieces of hair by grabbing small sections around your crown, pulling them forward, and spraying with a flexible hold hairspray.
7. For next-day texture, remove the braid and shake hair out. Apply dry shampoo to roots and lengths to absorb oil and revive hair.