I couldn’t even begin to count the number of memories I made in junior high in the ’80s listening to Prince’s music. Not many know this, but aside from his own songs, he also wrote hits for the likes of Chaka Khan (“I Feel for You”), The Bangles (“Manic Monday” – Yup! That was him), and Sinead O’Connor (“Nothing Compares 2 You” – a personal favorite). Prince was one of the best musicians of our time, and his personal life was just as inspiring; he credits childhood bullies as the reason he turned to music (If they weren’t so mean to him, I would thank them!). So, yes, this is a sappy tribute to one of my all-time favorite artists, a man we lost much, much too soon.
1. Jimmy Choo Alexia Shoulder Bag: Today, I’m wearing purple today as a nod to one of Prince’s most beloved songs, “Purple Rain.” This metallic hue perfectly matches the jacket he wore on the album’s cover. On Farfetch for $1,150.
2. Saint Laurent Candy 80 Bow Platform Sandals: Defying today’s gender expectations, he was never one to shy away from a heel. On NET-A-PORTER for $895.
3. CoSTUME NATIONAL East-West Suede Clutch: With its removable snake chain strap, this clutch is just what’s needed for cocktails-to-concert evenings. At Neiman Marcus for $911 (from $1,360).
4. Gucci Bamboo Large Shopper Tote Bag: A dose of turquoise – because when Prince wasn’t wearing bright monochrome suits, you can be sure he had on even more colorful outfits to delight his audience. At Neiman Marcus for $2,550.
5. Moschino Biker Jacket Shoulder Bag: From velvet to bejeweled blazers, Prince’s jacket collection was one to be coveted, and his biker jackets were some of my favorites. At Nordstrom for $1,995.
6. Shrimps Meadow Faux Fur Clutch: For some, fur alone is a bold accessory. For Prince, it was only bold when paired with ruffles, sparkle, the coolest guitar you’ve ever seen, and more fur. At Nordstrom for $300.
7. Perrin Paris Fingerless Glove Handle Clutch: Fingerless gloves were another of his signatures. They may not be the most functional, but Perrin’s bag version certainly is. On Farfetch for $995.
8. Jimmy Choo Mindy Sandals: While fringe is a trend and he certainly didn’t follow trends (he set them), there’s no denying that he would appreciate this extra dash of flair. On Farfetch for $1,150.
9. Dolce & Gabbana Bellucci Pumps: Lace, studs, rows of necklaces…he made it all look better than we ever will. But we can try! On Farfetch for $995.
Photo Credit: Getty