Just like people, many bags prefer certain climates to others. I’m not just talking seasonal styles. While some only function happily on the balmiest days of summer, others are made with winter weather in mind – and the messiness that arrives with it. When it comes to snowy days, bags of coated canvas, nylon, shearling, vegan leather, and fur are pretty much snow-proof and your best bet. (Patent leather may look slick and resistant, but it’s actually one of the most high-maintenance breeds of leather.) And remember, if there’s any leather involved, it’s always wise to get it treated before subjecting it to the elements, whatever they may be.
1. Rag & Bone Bradbury Shearling Fur Flap Hobo Bag: A lengthy strap and comfy hobo shape guarantees this one fits well over your bulkiest coat, and shearling can withstand the elements. Plus, the outer hanging key ring detail guarantees less be-gloved fumbling at your front door. At Neiman Marcus for $717, from $1,195.
2. Tory Burch Shearling Clutch: What happens come snowy evening out, when you want to carry a clutch but don’t want to fret about your suede getting soiled? Tory’s plush shearling clutch is as happy in the snow as it is cozy to your hands. On NET-A-PORTER for $695.
3. Valentino Men’s Camo Nylon Backpack: Sometimes you just want a day bag that can really rough it. Look to the men’s section! This camo-print backpack is surprisingly chic for days you want to channel your inner tomboy – and don’t want to worry about precious skins of any kind. At Bergdorf Goodman for $2,295.
4. Pierre Hardy Cube-Print Coated-Canvas Backpack: Pierre’s dizzying trademark print, topped with contrasting trim, feels fun and fancy-free. In water-resistant coated canvas, this backpack is as easy-going as it looks. On MATCHESFASHION.com for $1,701.
5. Snob Essentials Croc-Embossed Circle Crossbody: Not only is a compact crossbody easy and barely noticeable over your jacket, it’s hands-free – which comes in handy if you hit a sneaky patch of ice. Our croc-stamped vegan leather gives you the luxe look of an exotic, without any of the accompanying worry. On HSN for $54.95.
6. Stella McCartney Faux-Suede Backpack (on MATCHESFASHION.com for $1,120)
7. Alexander Wang Prisma Coated Leather Fold-Over Clutch (on NET-A-PORTER for $595)
8. Prada Mink Belt Bag (at Bergdorf Goodman for $2,200)