Nothing quite shows off the richness of the holiday season better than velvet. The boy gets a new velvet blazer each season (whether he likes it or not!). Last year it was a navy velvet jacket that looks very similar to my Saint Laurent one. This year, he received a dark red version. In honor of my own little tradition, here are my luxe and frugal velvet picks for the whole family:
1. Women: If you feel your holiday wardrobe is lacking in spirit, all it takes is a single velvet statement piece to turn up the heat. I love Cushnie et Ochs’ camisole for its forest-green hue and cutouts and Topshop’s disco-inspired jumpsuit for its sense of fun, plain and simple.
Luxe: Cushnie et Ochs Cutout Velvet Camisole (on NET-A-PORTER for $417, from $695)
Frugal: Topshop Velvet Halterneck Jumpsuit (on Topshop for $115)
2. Bag: This pair of bags just goes to show that price has nothing to do with luxuriousness when it comes to velvet. Edie’s signature “Hello” bag and Zara’s embellished bucket are equally appealing.
Luxe: Edie Parker Lauren Hello Embroidered Velvet Shoulder Bag (at Neiman Marcus for $1,595)
Frugal: Zara Velvet Evening Bucket Bag (at Zara for $50)
3. Shoes: Does anything say “holiday party” quite like a new pair of velvet shoes? From pale pink pumps to festive red platforms, you’ll be the life of the soiree with a click of your heels.
Luxe: Gianvito Rossi Business Point-Toe Velvet Pumps (on MATCHESFASHION.com for $633)
Frugal: Nine West Carnation Platform Sandal (at Nordstrom for $99)
4. Men: Whether it’s a lifelong investment piece, like a top-notch blazer, or something more novel, like a streetwise-gone-sumptuous pair of sweatpants, velvet upgrades any basic black wardrobe essential.
Luxe: Saint Laurent Black Slim-Fit Velvet Blazer (on Mr. Porter for $1,990)
Frugal: Granted Velvet Joggers (on ASOS for $90)
5. Kids: A sweet yet dramatic cape for the girls and a sharp and dapper blazer for the boys: I’m of the mind that every kid should wear something velvet this season.
Luxe: J.Crew Ludlow Blazer (at J.Crew for $140-$150)