Texture is a word that comes up a lot when talking bags. Smooth, grainy, rough, pebbled, furry, plush, soft, rugged…there are endless varieties and almost as many ways to describe them. But some bags out-texture the rest, so to speak. I’m referring to the ones with striking and unique consistencies that steal the spotlight. Sometimes all it takes is some great texture to make a bag.
1. Alexandra Clancy Small Ornella Tote: Not only does this luxurious tote offer a mix of black hair calf and hand-woven leather, it’s lined in starkly contrasting natural python. At Alexandra Clancy for $2,595.
2. Tom Ford Alix Python East-West Zip & Padlock Clutch Bag: It doesn’t get much more quintessentially Tom than this: a zippered and padlocked clutch in sexy, tactile, big-scale python. At Bergdorf Goodman for $2,690 (on back order; expect shipping by September 15th).
3. Saint Laurent YSL Crackled Patent Leather Bucket Bag With a gritty yet glistening feel, this bucket snaps, crackles, and pops. On Luisa via Roma for $995.
4. Alexander Wang Rockie Textured-Leather Tote (on NET-A-PORTER for $925)
5. Prada Canvas & Python Double Bag (at Saks Fifth Avenue for $2,950)
6. Bottega Veneta Roma Ostrich Satchel: A little ostrich can go a long way – and a lot of ostrich goes even longer. This is an investment piece for the ages. At Saks Fifth Avenue for $12,600.
7. Bottega Veneta Crocodile Shoulder Bag (on Saks Fifth Avenue for $15,750)
8. Fendi Trois-Jour Petite Croc-Embossed Calf Hair Tote Bag (at Neiman Marcus for $3,450)
9. Miu Miu Madras Textured-Leather Tote (on NET-A-PORTER for $2,290)
10. Christian Louboutin Rougissime Arizona Python-Paneled Textured-Leather Clutch (on NET-A-PORTER for $2,395)
11. Proenza Schouler Black Calfskin and Pony-Hair Medium Zip Pouch: Fuzzy-wuzzy was a…surprisingly chic clutch. Jet-black pony hair makes for a wicked look and touch. On Moda Operandi for $620.