The buckle: It’s one of those details that alternates between existing for purely functional reasons (read: to keep your belongings from flying out of your bag) and strictly decorative purposes (hefty hardware, anyone?). The best buckles do a bit of both: They hold it all together and they polish up and punctuate an otherwise unfinished bag. Here, my favorite buckles of the moment:
1. Maison Margiela Buckle Large Satchel: Count on Margiela to make a traditional, ladylike style feel avant-garde. Credit the monochrome buckle. At Barneys New York for $2,490.
2. Alexander Wang Mini Rockie Pebbled Leather Satchel Bag: The shrunken version of Alex’s classic Rockie style is extra-cute, especially with buckle-topped rolled handles. At Bergdorf Goodman for $650.
3. Michael Kors Across-Body Bag: Subtly menswear-inspired, think of this proper but not prim crossbody as a riff on the classic spectator shoe. On yoox.com for $502.
4. Christopher Kane Medium Leather Bag: The Safety Buckle has become Kane’s signature, and for good reason. It’s at once utilitarian, unique, and unfussy. On thecorner.com $1,925.
5. Burberry Prorsum The Belt Suede Shoulder Bag: A big, chunky buckle on a chain-topped mini-bag shouldn’t be this cute – yet it’s absolutely adorable. On MATCHESFASHION.com for $1,191.