You’ve heard of costume jewelry – and probably have some gorgeous pieces in your box – but costume bags? That’s another issue entirely! In honor of Halloween, I’ve assembled a group of the spookiest tricks to shock…or at least raise an eyebrow or two. Who needs a costume when your bag does the character dressing for you?
1. Etro Paisley Hunting PVC Top-Handle: Ever dreamed of being distinguished English huntsman? Me neither. But this paisley-printed bag has the stodgy attitude and fox-sniffing pups to get you there.
On Luisa via Roma for $900.
2. Antik Batik Cabas Embroidered Shoulder Bag: I’ll concede there might be a bit of bohemian in every snob, but a fringe-hording, tapestry-crazed gypsy? It takes a special (and scary) bag to bring that out in you.
On Luisa via Roma for $320.
3. See by Chloé Joy Rider Padded Shell Shoulder Bag: Puffy down jackets and dollops of stuffed-animal fluff might not be on your winter shopping list, but you get both courtesy of this sporty bag. The combo is enough to send chills down your spine.
On Net-a-Porter for $195.
4. Marc by Marc Jacobs Belmont Melly Mini Mixed-Media Satchel: I’m all for the snake-embossed mini-flap and pebbled leather, but – what do we have here? – a chic bag posing as a woodsy bunny rabbit. Bugs and I both say, “No, thanks.”
At Saks Fifth Avenue for $428.
5. Patricia Al’Kary “Al-Kary” Limit.Ed Leather Bag: “Glamorous porcupine” might be a difficult costume to execute with success, but this limited-edition (thank god) bag will out-prick the best of them.
On Luisa via Roma for $3,653.