Bags and shoes go hand-in-foot like the enduring combo of peanut butter and jelly! There’s something about a great, even match between your bag and shoes, particularly heels, that makes everything click. No surprise one can literally build an entire wardrobe each season around a brilliant pairing of the two. With that, my favorite duos of the moment:
1. Jimmy Choo Cloud Gold-Tone Box Clutch + Prada Crisscross-Strap Platform Sandals: What to wear with demure-sweet satin shoes, made slightly less docile with a chunky platform? Opt for a teeny clutch in caged gold metal for a textural contrast. Clutch, $1,625, on NET-A-PORTER, and sandals, $830, at Barneys New York.
2. Victoria Beckham Leather and Python Shoulder Bag + Stuart Weitzman Queen Croc-Embossed Pumps: Don’t be intimidated by a bag that boasts a trio of colors. Play up the semim-neutral palette and the element of crocodile with a pump that combines the elements. Shoulder bag, $4,600, on NET-A-PORTER and pumps, $405, at Neiman Marcus.
3. Les Petits Joueurs Frida Princess Perspex Clutch + Givenchy Lace-Up Leather Sandals: Channel your inner artsy street-style star with this unexpected union. A quirky clutch is complemented with a pair of whipstitched sandals that have a hand-touched feel. Clutch, $968, on Luisa via Roma and sandals, $1,525 at Saks Fifth Avenue.
4. Fendi Baguette Micro Leather Shoulder Bag + Prada Scalloped Suede Sandals: There’s something about this mash-up of soft blue and deep red that oozes spring in a most untraditional way. Pack light with Fendi’s Micro Baguette, and bare your soles with Prada’s skimpy yet striking stilettos. Micro bag, $1,100 on NET-A-PORTER and sandals, $830 at Saks Fifth Avenue.
5. Saint Laurent Classic Small Emmanuelle Metallic Leather Bucket Bag + Laurence Dacade Pete Studded Suede Ankle Boots: Here is a great example of the power of context. While this bag that could easily go slob with the wrong shoes, these studded, semi-casual ankle boots give it rock ‘n’ roll edge. It makes for a pairing that will inspire a mischievous night on the town. Bucket bag, $2,150, on My Theresa and ankle boots, $905 on NET-A-PORTER.