When it comes to gray, the rule goes the paler the better for successfully speaking to the season’s neutral trend. Think lazy, hazy summer days. Sure, we don’t want our weekend afternoons to be overcast, but on the contrary, a cloudy bag makes for a major mood improvement. Luckily, these aren’t your average storm clouds: elements of bright white (save Belstaff’s gorgeously steely tone) give new meaning to the hue – and give me a new favorite neutral!
1. Valentino Rockstud Pebbled Leather Messenger Bag: Rockstud fanatics will rejoice upon sight of this soft-as-butter crossbody style. This is casual, downtime opulence at its most appealing. At Neiman Marcus for $2,395.
2. Nina Ricci Arc Textured-Leather Shoulder Bag: I think it is safe to say I would do just about anything for this politely striking Nina Ricci bag! It’s perfect in every way and the unexpected punctuation of gold hardware is so much more elegant than silver when juxtaposed against gray. On NET-A-PORTER for $1,790.
3. Rebecca Minkoff MAB Leather Tote Bag: Strictly business evidently suits Ms. Minkoff well: this structured carryall is just about the prettiest work tote I’ve seen in awhile. At Neiman Marcus for $295.
4. Belstaff Nottingham 38 Shoulder Bag: Don’t write Belstaff off just yet! The bags are getting better by the season, and this slouchy-luxe python hobo will instantaneously elevate any biker-babe look. At Barneys New York for $3,950.
5. Valextra Babila Bag: Does anything scream “understated chic” better than Valextra? I think not. And it’s likely nothing ever will. When it comes to clean and classic design, they just get it right. At Barneys New York for $2,620.