Cutoff jean shorts might sound like a snob no-no, but on the contrary! A great pair of casual denim shorts is a brilliant way to complete a big, structured tote, nonchalant silk button-down (tucked in or knotted at the waist), and stellar flat sandals for a day of brunching and strolling. Or be daring and wear them with a denim shirt of a contrasting shade. Either way, the key is to keep the rest somewhat polished – and simple. These aren’t your average cutoffs!
1. Current/Elliott The Boyfriend Printed Low-Rise Denim Shorts: Everything is coming up roses this summer, especially denim. While long pants may feel like a major commitment to print, these are just a flash of floral.
On Net-a-Porter for $170.
2. Textile Elizabeth and James Dixon Printed Denim Cut-Off Shorts: Tie-dye takes a girly turn in warm pink and soft, cloudy white for the flirtiest cutoffs of the bunch.
On Net-a-Porter for $185.
3. J Brand Star Cutoff Shorts: Stars and denim usually have a cheesy, eighties vibe, but J.Brand’s are so nice and natural, this print projects a savvy edge.
On Shopbop for $165.
4. Christopher Kane x J Brand High-Rise Cutoff Short: It seems only natural for the avid neon-enthusiast to team up with a denim brand to create refreshing pink cutoffs in a refreshingly high-waisted silhouette.
At Barneys New York for $225.
5. Ksubi Alberceque Leopard-Embroidered Cut-Off Denim Shorts: This Australian label never ceases to have an exciting way with details, and touchable leopard-spot embroidery is no exception.
On Net-a-Porter for $245.