Forget the tank, tee, tube, and even white button-down. Effortlessly feminine and perfectly sweet (yet not without spice), bustiers are my favorite summer-style tops. But finding a bag that won’t leave unsightly marks is quite a challenge at times. Forget your classic chain-strapped Chanel bags, unless you don’t mind welts on your bare shoulders. Satchels feel too heavy and kill the vibe. Clutches are an obvious choice, but they’re not always the most sensible option for daytime. I love crossbody bags, but I don’t want to ruin a pretty strapless neckline. Wristlets and mini shoulder bags with leather straps seem to be the answer! Now bring on the bustiers – here are my favorites of the season:
1. Sally Lapointe Flare Bustier Top: Hello, show-stopper! I adore the breezy, capricious cut of this swingy top as much as I love the sunny color. On Shopbop for $1,050.
2. Milly Bustier Jumpsuit: Who says a bustier can’t make up your whole outfit? Trimmed in edgy leather, this stretch-silk jumpsuit is deceptively comfortable. On Shopbop $575.
3. Richard Nicoll Striped Woven Bustier Top: This one wins for most eye-catching. Let them get vertigo when they get lost in your strategically placed black-and-white stripes! On NET-A-PORTER for $905.
4. Tibi Eyelet Bustier: White eyelet is always super-sweet, but in a skimpy, lingerie-inspired silhouette, it also has an element of daring. On Shopbop $225.
5. Red Valentino Bustier Top: Peplum or ruffle? Topped with defined cups and in classy tan linen tweed, the detail is equal parts classic and attention-grabbing. On Shopbop for $395.