Tousled, salt-sprayed hair? Most certainly. But when it comes to bags, you wouldn’t normally think of everyone’s favorite creature of legend (aside from maybe vampires and unicorns), the mermaid, to serve as muse. Now for a certain breed of spring bags, under the sea is where it’s at. Here, my pick of the best earthly beauties a mermaid would give up her flippers for, running the gamut from deep-diving shimmery texture to leathers the color of Caribbean water.
1. 3.1 Phillip Lim Quill Cutout Leather Bucket Bag: When Phillip casts his net, we swim straight to him. This lattice-effect bucket showcases a cool twist on cutouts. At Saks Fifth Avenue for $1,395.
2. Marc Jacobs Trouble Sequin-Embellished Python Shoulder Bag: Trouble is rarely so tempting! The prettiest fish in the sea would be envious of these layers of python and sequins. On NET-A-PORTER for $3,500.
3. Bottega Veneta Knot Snakeskin Clutch: If I were a mermaid, I would love Bottega to design my fins! Luckily, this weave of silver snakeskin sprinkled with dashes of sky blue and lime green will glimmer best on dry land. On My Theresa for $3,525.
4. Rauwolf Elletra Minaudière: This hard box clutch has all the treasure-like appeal of a shell plucked right off the seashore but with none of the sand and beach-combing required. At Barneys New York for $1,750.
5. Chloé Clare Mini Leather Shoulder Bag: If tropical sea blues and oceanic greens make you feel tranquil, go for Chloé’s colorblocked mini bag. Looking at it is almost as relaxing as a day at the beach. Almost! On My Theresa for $1,585.