Thanks to throngs of models and It-girls, Coachella has become known as well for its fashion sense as musical acts. You know the look when you see it. Shredded cutoffs, gauzy see-through dresses, fringed ‘70s-era vests, and hats in every form, from fitted baseball to floppy fedora: this pretty much sums up the must-have festival wardrobe. Some girls dress like this on the regular (those are the ones who likely look the most natural at these events!). Me? I like to dabble in the freewheeling trend through – surprise! – bags. So in honor of Janella Monae, Violent Femmes, Vampire Weekend, and all the other eclectic acts soon taking the SoCal stage, here are the most Coachella-worthy bags:
1. Matthew Williamson Escape Fringe Shoulder Bag: Fringe? Check? Tie-dye? Check. Seashells? Why not! Coachella is the right occasion to welcome the whimsy of Williamson. On Shopbop for $650.
2. Tila March Lee Camera Bag: Colorblocking gets a modern makeover on this sporty camera bag. You can thank the funky, squared-off shape and off-kilter buckle. At Tila March for $562.
3. Pelechecoco Recycled Fabric and Leather Backpack: This frugal find could just as easily have been scooped up at Woodstock in ’69. Woven stripes and leather make for a hippie-chick classic. On Luisa via Roma for $127.
4. Carven Round Bag: A canteen style says you’re up for anything outdoors, while cognac calf-hair lets the crowd know you haven’t left your snobby attitude at home. On Farfetch for $660.
5. Stella McCartney Snake-Print Mini Crossbody Bag: Just because you’re in the grass doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your glam. Python effects will always elevate, but colorful patchwork keeps this mini from looking too polished. On My Theresa for $825.