I would be lying if I said I wasn’t more obsessed with ice-skater outfits than the sport itself. I’m not talking about the over-the-top, figure-skater costumes of feathers and sequins, but the flirty, flared, and flouncy skirt shape that’s a flattering silhouette for all. A cinched waist with a slightly fuller skirt – not dramatic enough to be A-line, just a vague burst of girlish volume – makes legs and midsections look slimmer and hides any hip issues.
Are skater skirts the new jeans? I think so. Opposed to maxis of cascading fabric and constrictive wiggle minis, the skater is a great cut to work with tights because it looks relaxed and dressed up at once, so invest in a few for the season – or else you might find your wardrobe is on thin ice.
1) Topshop Skater Skirt: A frugal steal that’s the perfect length (mid-thigh keeps it sexy without looking like you copped a thirteen-year-old’s junior-varsity cheerleading uniform) and the perfect vivid color. At TopShop for $70.
2) ASOS Skater Dress with Embellished Collar: Two words: Holiday party. It’s all about the nipped-and-flared cut – or is it? Jewel-encrusted cap-sleeves and a point collar steal the show. And then there’s the super-sexy cut-out back! At ASOS for $116.81.
3) Nha Khanh Ivory High-Waist Pleated Skirt: I’ve been throwing on Nha Khanh’s Italian wool skirt in multiple colors on with everything, from T-shirts to lacy blouses. And it all looks equally good. The Dallas-based designer is all about effortless chic and so is the skater skirt. For $590, inquire at Nha Khanh for stockists.
4) Christopher Raeburn Parallel Skater Jacket: This shape gives the winter coat an entirely new perspective. No bulk, just sleek, flowing lines. Save this grosgrain ribbon-trimmed wool jacket for times you’re keeping it minimal underneath (think skinny pants) and let the full skirt stand on it’s own. At Barneys New York for $1,735.
5) Hervé Léger A-Line Bandage Mini Skirt: The label might be known for their supremely body-conscious dresses, but if you ask me, they do light and unfussy even better. This skirt packs in the standard Léger sex appeal, thanks to the hip-hugging fabric, but the spirited skirt has a sassy wink. On Net-a-Porter for $880.