I prefer structure over schloppy, floppy bags. But sharply boxy bags are not always functional. They can be unforgiving at your side, difficult to get in and out of, and hard-edged to the touch. Not the latest bunch! Softly structured box bags are the best of both worlds, for a style compromise that doesn’t make you sacrifice anything at all.
1. Lauren Merkin Handbags Lila Box Bag: Polished enough for a dressed-up day look, simple enough to go with all your off-duty gear, and on sale: This is an obvious choice. At Shopbop for $276.50 (from $395).
2. Marni Box Python Shoulder Bag: Adjust Marni’s gorgeously thick exotic strap to wear this box close under your shoulder or fully crossbody for great versatility. At NET-A-PORTER for $3,210.
3. Topshop Faux Snake Box Bag: Sometimes it’s nice to be able to toss on a bright, fresh, fun, and seriously frugal bag that you don’t have to worry about. Case in point: Topshop’s turquoise take on faux python. At Topshop for $58.
4. Marc by Marc Jacobs Mini Toolbox Leather Shoulder Bag: If utilitarian-chic is your thing, this tricked-out tool box will serve you well, with just enough hardware accents to keep you looking tough. At My Theresa for $690.
5. Sophie Hulme Box Leather Shoulder Bag: A hot pink bag tells you not to take things too seriously, especially in a flirty shape with an irreverent detachable keychain that reads, “Wish you were here.” At NET-A-PORTER for $595.