Who are you calling athletic? Designers have embraced the sporty club stripe – and given it a great, satisfying twist. Blending the racing stripe with sumptuous skins makes for the ultimate in casual-luxe appeal. While Victoria Beckham brings her trademark posh appeal with paneled snakeskin, others contrast with suede and hardware. But my favorite has to be Givenchy’s sophisticated take on the athletica bag, with enough guts to knockout the competition.
1. Victoria Beckham Soft Victoria Leather Tote: Victoria would make her fellow Spice Girl proud with this thick, sporty stripe, in delicious sea-green snakeskin to please the snootiest of snobs.
On My Theresa for $2,538.
2. Rochas Mixed-Media Stripe Satchel: Suede and pebbled leather look anything but run-of-the-mill when the execution is this solid. That contrasting blast of luxe suede brings a new dimension.
At Saks Fifth Avenue for $2,250.
3. Clare Vivier Stripe Flat Clutch: These frugal choices look surprisingly high-end, thanks to Clare’s way with pebbled leather and suede (respectively) and the sharpness of her big, strong stripes.
Neon leather, $155 and matte-stripe suede, $173 on Shopbop.
4. Valentino Va Va Voom Small Rockstud Leather Shopper: Va va voom is right! This speed-racer takes off with a snappy stripe delivered in the cunning form of decadent rockstuds.
On My Theresa for $1,862.
5. Givenchy Medium Nightingale: Pony-skin, leather, and one sizzling-hot color combo, this satchel keeps your eyes stimulated without overwhelming.
On L’Inde Le Palais for $1,694.