There’s something so timelessly sophisticated about one of fall’s favorite fabrics, tweed. It brings to mind Katharine Hepburn in her wide-leg trousers and sharp blazers, Diane Keaton in her young, Annie Hall glory days, and of course, the inimitable Coco Chanel, who borrowed pieces from her boyfriend, the Duke of Westminster. As Coco herself once did, we’re borrowing tweeds from the boys and making them utterly chic and feminine. This season’s favorite tweed bags have been updated with fringe and other details for unexpected takes on the classic.
1. Tory Burch Kira Tweed Crossbody Bag: Magnifying the checked pattern makes it thoroughly modern – and shows off the nubby weave of the fabric. At Neiman Marcus for $395.
2. Proenza Schouler Small Lunch Frayed Tweed Clutch: Nothing like some wildly frayed edges to take a neat, little clutch and make it feel nonchalantly cool. At Bergdorf Goodman for $990.
3. Les Petits Joueurs Andy Tweed Love Clutch Bag: I love how this near-iconic Lego box bag has gotten a glam-meets-preppy makeover in time for fall. At Bergdorf Goodman for $975.
4. Saint Laurent Hunting Tweed Backpack: Don’t just steal tweed from the boys. Take their backpacks, too! At Bergdorf Goodman for $995.
5. Khirma Jolie Tweed Mixed-Media Clutch Bag: We don’t normally associate tweed with evening, but all it takes is a couple curvy panels of metallic leather and python to be after-dark ready. At Neiman Marcus for $525.