We’ve all been there: As classic our tastes usually are, at times we want to join the latest craze and have a bit of fun. But fun often comes at a high cost. That Fendi monster bag you’ve seen everywhere? Sure, it’s a good time now, but in a year or two you might find yourself questioning that moment of insanity. I say save up for the timeless bags because a whimsical bag accessory is all it takes to update an old-favorite bag, whether it’s a gift for your friend who won’t give up her faithful classic Chanel flap or trusty Louis Vuitton Speedy or a little something for yourself.
1. The Handbag Raincoat Mini City Slicker Handbag Raincoat: Turn dreary, rainy days into an opportunity to show off your bag’s raincoat. Because your beloved bag possibly deserves one more than you do. On Shopbop for $25.
2. Marc By Marc Jacobs Big Googly Eye Bag Charm: Try as you might, you simply cannot or will not commit to a permanent leather sticker? Then try out a charm that packs the same effect without the regret or expensive leathersmith cleaning bill. (Trust me on this.) On Shopbop for $78.
3. Skinnydip Gingerbread Man Bag Charm: If you can’t get into the holiday spirit quite as well as your Aunt Martha with her decorative sweaters, you can still show some seasonal cheer with help from a gingerbread man charm. Bonus: Next year, you can use it as a tree ornament. On ASOS for $14.33.
4. Coach Multi Feather Bag Charm: How much do I love Coach as of late? A pair of juxtaposing feathers of leather and metal, respectively, is the perfectly quiet, bohemian touch. At Coach for $75.
5. Ladurée Parisienne Macarons Keyring: Someone recently told me macarons are totally out and donuts are in. I beg to differ! I’ll never tire of macarons simply because they’re just so cute. Here’s a healthy, sugar-free alternative. On Amara for $70.
7. Kate Spade New York Maise Keychain: This one delivers cute form plus function, I find myself using coin purses a lot thanks to the downsizing of my wallet to a credit card-holder, and this one keeps your change on the outside. On Shopbop for $58.