What’s the best way to balance out denim? A pair of clunky clogs, of course. Whether your jeans are distressed and bleached-out or inky, slinky, and indigo, the retro wooden vibe of clogs is the answer to a summer season that’s got a keen focus on the 1970s. Whether you go classic (Michael Kors chose not to stray from original vintage styles) or for a major modern update (Giuseppe Zanotti and Tom Ford both opt for plenty of high-glam volume), the wooden sole is where it’s at right now.
1. Tom Ford Calfskin Platform Clog Sandal: This clog isn’t for the faint of heart – or those with a fear of heights. But I wouldn’t expect anything but all-out dedication from Mr. Ford. At Neiman Marcus for $2,390.
2. Michael Kors Prim Appliquéd Leather Platform Clogs: Gain instant ‘70s flair with Kors’ four inches of throwback studs and funky floral accents. On NET-A-PORTER for $390 (from $650).
3. Prada Patchwork Ankle-Strap Clog: The downside of clogs? Their lack of stability. Prada has that problem solved, thanks to the addition of a lean ankle strap. At Neiman Marcus for $594 (from $990).
4. Giuseppe Zanotti Twist-Knot Platform Clogs: If it’s more glamour you’re after, this vintage-inspired suede pair is equally fun and feminine by the pool and at the cocktail lounge. At Barneys New York for $509 (from $845).
5. Saint Laurent Studded Calf-Hair Clogs: This trend doesn’t have to come pumped-up with a platform. Walk easy with Saint Laurent’s spotty, studded pair. On NET-A-PORTER for $1,095.
6. Robert Clergerie French Leather Wedge Clogs (on MATCHESFASHION.com for $695)
7. Casadei Open Toe Clog Sandals (on Farfetch for $581.35, from $726.69)
8. Michael Kors Perri Runway Platform Clog (at Neiman Marcus for $446, from $595)