What bag would you buy if money was no object and practicality was of no consequence? I know I would leap for something altogether fanciful, heavy on whimsy and irreverence (and yes, heavy on the wallet, too). Like one of these seven clutches, each seemingly designed to help you elude reality for an evening or two – and light up your bag closet for years to come. Here, my current favorite crazy-unusual bags worth a mega-splurge because we could all use an escape every now and again. Speaking of mini escapes, take some time out and catch up with me on Bagchat with Tina in the Vogue Mini app!
1. Alexander McQueen Flower-Embroidered Knuckle Box Clutch Bag: All of McQueen’s signature knuckle-duster clutches are fanciful, but with an exaggerated, sculptural handle and floral motif, this one takes the cake. Available for pre-order at Bergdorf Goodman for $3,895 (expect shipping by March 30th).
2. Judith Leiber Couture Floral Skull Crystal Clutch: This masterpiece is equal parts entrancing and foreboding. While the most macabre incarnation of Judith’s Skull is unavailable, but you can still buy the more ethereal floral version. At Neiman Marcus for $5,495.
3. Valentino Camu Butterfly-Print Box Clutch Bag: If this bag grabs the attention of lepidopterists (and yes, that’s the name for someone who studies or collects butterflies), don’t be surprised. Giving off the effect of a multitude of winged creatures beneath glass, this Plexiglass bag is a natural wonder. At Bergdorf Goodman for $4,075.
4. Edie Parker Flavia Panel Velvet Clutch: A black-as-night minaudiére with a panel of velvet evokes a sense of textural mystery, but it’s the trio of hand-embroidered stars that puts Edie’s clutch in a whole other galaxy. At Forward by Elyse Walker for $1,495.
5. Jimmy Choo Box Feather and Metal Clutch: Nothing says, “I can’t be bothered with the mundane realities of life” like a capricious clutch coated in frothy feathers. On NET-A-PORTER for $3,250.
6. Charlotte Olympia Dali Perspex Clutch: Bags with a lips motif are not uncommon. The main feature on this box is its big, gold pout, but on closer inspection the nose-shaped clasp reveals Salvatore Dali-inspired Surrealism. On NET-A-PORTER for $1,365.
7. Dolce & Gabbana Dolce Metallic Textured Leather-Trimmed Wood Clutch: Conversation-worthy kitsch merges with unabashed art appreciation on this top handle, designed to resemble an oil painting set in an ornate frame. On NET-A-PORTER for $7,995.
Pair your fantasy bags with the simplest of dresses like this streamlined David Koma gown (at Forward by Elyse Walker for $2,614)
Photo Credits: Kristi and Scot Redman