Donning denim when it’s not in the form of pants, shorts, or anything in the “bottoms” family: I was on the fence until the most recent crop of denim made its showing. (When it came to McQueen’s cotton-ized Union Jack clutch and Gucci’s mid-‘90s take, I had mixed mixed feelings).
Perhaps it’s the warmer weather, which warrants a lighter attitude, or call it a result of spending the past 10 days in LA, land of the casual: Suddenly everything denim is looking great to me. What about you? Been visited by the jean genie? If not, maybe these pieces will work their indigo magic on you!
1. Fendi 2Jours Denim Shopping Tote Bag: A pretty pop of sunny yellow, via Fendi’s modern-trademark frame-top and tag combo, makes for a classic pairing alongside dark denim. At Neiman Marcus for $2,000.
2. Prada Denim Vintage Shopper Tote Bag: Denim ‘n’ diamonds? More like denim ‘n’ studs, honey. Cowgirls and city slickers alike will flock to this delicate mash-up of traditionally tough stuff. At Neiman Marcus for $1,630.
3. Pierre Hardy Small Cube Print Zip Pouch: Monsieur Pierre’s graphic cubes are instantly recognizable on the streets, and equally eye-catching in your tote bag. At Barneys New York for $195.
4. Stella McCartney Falabella Camouflage Denim Shoulder Bag: If I had a nickel for every time I laid eyes on the Falabella…well, you know the rest. But I don’t even care when I’m seeing it in faded camo-print denim! On Farfetch for $1,510.
5. Prism St. Bart’s Denim Swimsuit: The classy one-piece is an au currant classic for Summer 2014. In inky denim, this 1950s-inspired swimsuit is a decisively un-prissy way to sport a feminine silhouette. At MATCHESFASHION.COM for $294.
6. Prism Positano Denim Bikini Top: If you’re a tried-and-true bikini babe, rethink the two-piece (and the Canadian tuxedo, for that matter) and wear this with a pair of super-faded vintage cutoffs for mismatched chic. At MATCHESFASHION.COM for $173.
7. Theyskens’ Theory Distressed Denim Mini-Dress: Olivier Theyskens has a brilliant way of making streetwear feel exciting, and this frayed denim shift is no exception. On NET-A-PORTER for $276.50 (from $395).
8. Pierre Hardy Denim Point-Toe Flats: Take the trend in stride with a pair of pale, easy flats that make a statement on your feet, without getting in your face. On NET-A-PORTER for $227.50 (from $325).
9. Miu Miu Crystal-Embellished Denim Point-Toe Flats: Count on Miuccia to deliver a sprinkling of sparkle, even with her more casual pieces like a pair of rugged-meets-pretty flats. On NET-A-PORTER for $595.