Or should the question be, “What’s in the rest of the bag?” Because when the strap is all you notice, it might seem like the strap is all that matters. Not quite, although a strap can make – or break – a bag. Success lies in the perfect balance. When your bag’s strap is striking, its body needs to be neutral and measured, not too much of anything, so the spotlight remains where it should. Then again, it can’t be too much of nothing, either. I’m not interested in boring bags! Here, straps with the right stuff and bags to match:
1. Gucci Lady Web Medium Leather-Trimmed Coated Canvas Shoulder Bag: Go back to the strap that started it all. Gucci’s original incarnation, reworked for the new season, feels fresher than any other. On NET-A-PORTER for $1,900.
2. Marc Jacobs Gotham Small Bauletto Satchel: I’m all about the bold punchiness of Marc’s thick racing-striped strap against pebbled leather in the most versatile of colors. On Shopbop for $450.
3. Marni Trunk Mini Metallic Leather Shoulder Bag: Sometimes it works in reverse: When you’ve got a patchwork metallic bag, the only statement you want your strap making is one that says “utilitarian canvas crossbody.” On NET-A-PORTER for $2,430.
4. Rebecca Minkoff Wendy Small Leather Crossbody Bag: Count on Rebecca to make her frugal version equally appealing, thanks to a great way with leather knotting and the right sprinkling of fringe. At Neiman Marcus for $295.
5. The Row Drum Fringed-Strap Suede Bag: Take your pick of two juxtaposing straps on one simple suede shoulder bag. I happen to be partial to the dealmaker: a woven, braided, fringed strap for instant rock ‘n’ roll ease. On MATCHESFASHION.com for $2,950.
6. Valentino Rockstud Crossbody: Former Rolling Stones flame Anita Pallenberg would approve of Valentino’s luxe take on turquoise stones and a vibrant guitar strap. I approve, as well! At Barneys New York for $3,995.
7. Les Petits Joueurs Micro Alex Woven Bunny Bag: If a fox fur pom pom isn’t enough to liven up this classic black silhouette, a geo-print shoulder strap certainly is. At Neiman Marcus for $1,020.
8. Fendi Flower & Stud Leather Strap: Or you can take just the strap and revamp the convertible bags already in your closet! Leave it to Fendi to reimagine yet another bag accent, this time with high-impact floral appliqués. At Neiman Marcus for $1,100.
9. Fendi Whipstitched Leather Strap for Handbag: If you prefer texture to embellishments, their magnified and amplified way with whipstitching in bright white will create a stark contrast to your bright bags. Consider this item your ticket to a spring bag makeover. At Neiman Marcus for $900.