There is nothing like a crisp white bag for summer. But I tend to like my bags with some kind of twist, and black trim doesn’t just make for a high sense of contrast. Done right, it adds the right amount of urban edge to classic, polished white. It also has functional benefits: a bit of black in the right places serves as a discreet buffer for inevitable corner wear-and-tear. Read on for my favorite white bags, served with a side of black:
1. Alexander Wang Emile Doctor Two-Tone Leather Tote: One of Wang’s most quintessential bag styles gets a modern makeover, now in structured white punctuated by sharp, black trim. On NET-A-PORTER for $1,050.
2. Proenza Schouler Elliot Leather and Suede Clutch: A wonderfully pure front flap receives the benefits of a black base and better yet, the surprising touch of printed side panels. On NET-A-PORTER for $1,125.
3. Prada Saffiano Lux Double-Zip Tote Bag: I adore the subtlety of this deceptively emphatic black trim, proving that just an understated touch of contrast is all you need to add plenty of style. At Neiman Marcus for $1,990.
4. Nina Ricci Marche Python Satchel Bag: I can’t think of many things more decadent than a white python bag. Except one accented with delicious neutral black detailing. At Neiman Marcus for $4,100.
5. VBH Trevi Mini Calfskin Satchel Bag: Clean lines, delicate piping, golden hardware, and a shade of white leather that’s as crisp as can be: there’s nothing not to love about this convertible, shoulder-to-top handle bag. At Neiman Marcus for $2,550.